Introducing the inaugural Ozwater “Water Hack”, an exciting new event delivered to you by TechnologyOne and the Australian Water Association
Despite what you've probably heard, this kind of hacking is all about creative problem solving, and what better place to do that than the biggest water event in Australia!
We're bringing together innovators, disruptors and big-picture thinkers to tackle the tricky challenges facing our water industry.
The challenges keeping you up at night are the challenges we want to focus on for the Water Hack. Big or small, strategic or operational, we want you to share your challenges with us so we can work together to solve them.
What do we want to solve at this Water Hack?
The industry has selected the following challenges for the Water Hack:
Asset Management: What's one challenge you would like to see solved?
- It is generally accepted that proactive condition assessment of water assets to prevent failures and extend asset life is desired above expensive reactive measures. However, the priority and budgets to conduct proactive measures usually fall short. What is an acceptable expenditure on critical assets to conduct proactive condition assessment?
- How can we create value from SCADA data after it is no longer needed to manage processses? How can we develop a co-operative approach to developing open source solutions to data science problems? How do we collect ideas from the industry? How do we develop solutions collaboratively?
- How can we make biosolids treatment a carbon sink? Best current practice is to burn methane for Co-Gen power, thus emitting large amounts of CO2. How can we reduce/eliminate CO2 emission while still obtaining Co-Gen benefits?
- How do we deliver remote off-grid water management to be used in coastal towns to generate energy and provide for 25 x seasonal population changes? What does a design look like that is innovative and sustainable?
Customer Facing Industry: What's one challenge you would like to see solved?
- How can we create an invisible water utility? This is a water or sewerage utility that performs so well that customers never need to contact them to discuss issues (invisiblewater.org). What does success look like? How do we measure success? How do we maintain brand awareness?
Diversity & Equality: What's one challenge you would like to see solved?
- How can the water industry work to decrease the rates of youth unemployment / under-employment in Australia?
Video: What we hacked at the Ozwater'17 Water Hack?
Ozwater'17 Water Hack wrap-up
Ozwater’17 played host to the first annual Water Hack, which was sponsored by TechnologyOne, with delegates from around the country working in groups to solve some of the biggest challenges facing the water industry. After working throughout the day on their solutions, each group presented to the water leaders panel during the conference’s closing keynote sessions. Read more here.
Please contact the Events team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.