The water sector plays a key role in building sustainable cities & thriving communities by involving them in decision making, developing solutions that improve sustainability and liveability, and delivering multiple benefits to those being serviced. The following are some of the topics, themes & questions we would like Ozwater’19 to explore. SDG’s linked to this theme are also noted and papers specific to the SDG’s are encouraged.
● Tools for and case studies of Integrated Water Management (IWM)
● Systems approaches for understanding urban water
● Decentralised and distributed systems
● Role of water efficiency and water conservation
● Integration of land and water planning; Role of water in placed based planning
● Precinct scale and Multi-utility solutions (IWM, energy and/or waste)
● Best practice community engagement
● Identifying and delivering shared value
● Delivering liveable communities and resilient water systems
● How is the water sector supporting and creating sustainable communities?
● What are the case studies that show how some communities have successfully become more liveable and sustainable?
● How can we best balance societies’ and the environment’s needs into the future?
● What are alternative financing models we can consider for water projects and businesses?
● What are our options for financing our future?
● How can we work with/include communities in our decisions about water?
● How can water businesses deliver shared value by finding business opportunities in social problems?
● How can we engage better with customers and the community about future challenges in delivering essential services? Do water utilities do this alone or as part of a more holistic approach through state and local governments or other means?
● How can communities have a greater say in urban water futures?
● How do water utilities contribute to creating multi-purpose recreational areas for communities?
● What are organisations doing to address the Sustainable Development Goals?
LINKED SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
3 - Good health and well-being
6 - Clean water and sanitation
8 - Decent work and economic growth
9 - Industry, innovation and infrastructure
11 - Sustainable cities and communities
12 – Responsible consumption & production
13 - Climate action
16 - Peace, justice and strong communities